2016年3月3日星期四

Words

claim
Mum asked one night when she’d got back from her job on the checkout at Khan’s and me and Dad were relaxing after a hard afternoon’s work out at the claim.
None
A place with metals owned by someone

wobbling
The noise of a car drove into our ears and a four-wheel-drive police jeep came wobbling down the creamy red track that leads to our claim.
None
Shaking

startled
Verb
My dad turned around, startled.
Shocked

figment
None
I walked over to where Pobby was supposed to be sitting and punched the air and kicked the air in the head to show Kellyanne that Pobby was a figment of her imaginings.
The unreal thing

rummaged
Verb
Looking for
He rummaged through piles of rocks

ute
I slammed the door of the ute in Dingan’s face
None
Small truck

crackpot
Strange person
None
It made you want to be sick all over the place. Lightning Ridge was full of flaming crackpots as far as I could see.

Mello Yello
None
Drink
I said,hiding my anger in a swig from my can of Mello Yellow.

Mates
n.
People who work or live with you. “I still say Kellyanne could do with some real-live mates,”

Opal
None
A valuable stone. "My dad would come back from the opal mines covered in dust, his beard like the back end of a dog that’s shat all over its tail."

Fairdinkum
 n
. Australian idiom for "Are you sure?". “Fairdinkum?”

Imaginary:
adj.
existing only in your mind or imagination. "but I wasn’t crazy enough to talk to imaginary friends, I’ll tell you that for nothing."

Grub:
none
 food. "She said they were quieter and better behaved than me and deserved the grub."

Fossilized:
 verb
.Become stone. "There’s rumours going that Lucky Jes has taken out a million-dollar stone and a fossilized mammoth tooth with sun-flash in it."

Mammoth:
 none
 An old animal liked elephant which lived in the ancient time. "There’s rumours going that Lucky Jes has taken out a million-dollar stone and a fossilized mammoth tooth with sun-flash in it."


没有评论:

发表评论